Playlist

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Episode 18 - Epic Fail Like the Greats!

Ever had one of those days? Your father's been murdered by your uncle and you just don't know what to do. Your best friend's fallen down the stairs, broken his leg, gotten bone marrow in his blood, and died. And your crazy neighbor's crazy girlfriend just plummeted to her death because she saw a nun. (That's right, a nun.) Life's a tragedy, isn't it?

Death, disasters, and hollow victories focus this episode's discussion of the art of the tragedy. What makes a good "bad ending"? Is it more literary to make the audience depressed? What's the meaning of it all? Listen as Tim and Nick wrangle with these intriguing questions, as well as review the summer blockbusters, in the latest episode of Derailed Trains of Thought.


Download

Show Notes


Loading the player ...

1 comment:

  1. Hey look! I'm the first to comment!

    I wouldn't say "Cowboy Bebop" has a tragic ending. I'd call it bittersweet. (spoiler warning for those who haven't seen it). Spike dies defeating Vicious and avenging Julia's death. With her gone, avenging her was about all he had left to live for. In that sense, he died happy. Heck, it's implied that he was the new star that appeared at the end of the credits (the Native American shaman said new stars appear when warriors die).

    I don't usually like horror movies that end tragically. Mostly because those endings either seem inevitable or come out of nowhere. It almost makes the film seem like a waste of time. I think this stems from an over-fascination these films have with evil. (That's a whole other topic).

    My story in "The Day After" is a tragedy, although I would call it a "redemptive tragedy." The protagonist dies because of her folly, and her death was inevitable, but she was a changed person by the end. And she did what she could to save people from the virus she carried.

    Here's a question: Do you think "The Dark Knight" has a tragic ending?

    By the way, I just want to say the classic "Twilight Zone" is AMAZING! Although, I don't know if I'd call all of those tragedies. I'd say they were morality tales. But I guess there's some overlap there.

    I have to say that I disagree with you about the "Green Lantern" movie. I went into it wanting to like it, but I was kinda disappointed. I've read the particular comics it's based on, and the movie is a far-too-streamlined version of them. It's lacks the depth of character and clever storytelling. It would take too long to explain.

    I can think of one superhero movie that doesn't have an origin: "The Incredible Hulk" (2008). The cause of Bruce Banner's transformation is mentioned, but it starts with him on the run.

    Also, I think "X-Men: First Class" is overrated. "X2" is still the best "X-Men" movie.

    ReplyDelete