Playlist

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Episode 42 - Why We (Don't) Create

It's no secret Tim and Nick like to create. I mean, they've recorded more than 40 podcasts discussing the art of storytelling! But every creative person has a reason they create. And every creative person has multitudes of excuses for why they don't actually do that much creating. This episode, Tim and Nick analyse their own reasons for creation (and lack thereof), and in the process probably touch on some of your own desires and barriers.

If that's too personal, hang out until the second half, when we discover the combat-typing game Sesame Street Fighter and why EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Winter's not over yet (for some reason), so stay inside and listen in on Derailed Trains of Thought Episode 42, your answer to life, the universe, and everything...*

*Results may vary.

Download

Show Notes

Loading the player ...

2 comments:

  1. Why do I create: I create because I love fiction and fantasy worlds. Growing up I didn’t get to travel much, so using my imagination was my escape to see places I hadn’t seen before, or accomplish feats I couldn’t even dream of doing. Because of that, I wanted to make worlds that others could explore and lose themselves in. I’d also like to show hope in a world that often loves to take that away.
    Why I don’t create: Time, completion, and doubt. Time, because I’m so distracted with life and the demands it places on me, that I’m often forced to work on everything but writing. By the time I’m done and ready to write, I’m exhausted and need sleep, and if I give up sleep, I won’t be ready for my responsibilities for the next day.
    During my portfolio, I had a hard time writing anything because I felt like I wasn’t progressing and completing stories. While my dream was (and is) to write novels, the arduous task of writing a long story means it takes a long time before you finish. When I decided to take a break, I focused on writing short stories, so I could get some work under my belt and feel like I was accomplishing something.
    Time and the lack of completed stories combined to fill my mind with doubt. I wondered if this was even the right field with me, or just something I wanted to say that I was. I’m thankful God placed people in my life to keep my motivation going and not give into these doubts.
    In some ways, it’s difficult to be stuck at a job that stifles your creativity, or uses it in a way that isn’t even close to how you dreamed you would. As tough as it is, it keeps me grounded. It reminds me that my job isn’t what I want to do for the rest of my life, and I use my free time to change that so I can make my dream into a reality.
    Again, thank you for everything you both do in your podcast. It keeps me engaged in being creative while being surrounded by things that try to suck it dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg,

    First, you're welcome! We're glad the podcast can be a benefit to others.

    Second, now that I have kids, I find long works really intimidating, so I've written more short works--though I'm finally returning to Strin & Fred after years of delay.

    I think every creative person is wracked by doubts, probably more often then not. Except the hacks. They don't care. ;-)

    Finding those spaces of time and stillness to write is difficult; I've found my ways, but it takes effort. I always say I had all my best ideas back in high school, when I had tons of time to daydream while driving place to place. But putting pen to paper still manages to get the job done.

    Nick

    ReplyDelete